Search This Blog

Saturday 11 June 2011

How do you like your eggs in the morning?

Midweek Breakfast Panic......

Now theres no point starting the day on an empty stomach, and here in Rio there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever. My daily coffee and fresh bread is such a staple part of my life now I feel as though I might come slightly unhinged without it. Who would have thought? Anyhow, if by some freak of nature (and believe me they happen here) I don't make it to work before breakfast is snatched back into the kitchen, there are literally hundreds of en route possibilities worth considering. I'm not kidding. On wednesday this week I bought a coffee and a sarnie from some bloke selling them from the boot of his car. Absolutely top notch.

Weekend breakfast delights....





Now, since the patter of tiny feet, hung over lie-ins have become more modest to say the least. Hangovers though, I have to say are still plentiful and getting worse as a speed towards dementia. Thanks heavens for the marvellous Copacabana saturday morning breakfasts. They truly save lives. Here's how.

This morning we amble along the road for 5 minutes and stopped at Big bi's (I reckon there a few) - and bought:

  • Toast+butter
  • Pineapple Juice (fresh as a daisy)
  • 2 coffees with milk
  • Cheese and ham pastry (called a joelho)
  • Esfha de Carne (mince meat and veg pastry)
  • pão de queijo (cheesy bread balls)
Wonderful - all fresh, and served with a smile - the bill? R$16 - just over 6 quid.

Coffee here, as you might expect, is everywhere and really varies in quality, but at these places, a 'Cafe Media' with milk is a small work of art. Take the time to watch your waiter pour the milk and coffee it precisely the proportions you want. Does it really make a difference? - Apparently so. And always remember that if you want to add the entire sugar bowl to this carefully crafted concoction, then that's absolutely fine.

Now - if you want to splash out, there are loads of places the hungover chic Carioca set like to be seen recomposing after a heavy night. Last weekend we went to Santa Satisfação. The honey was amazing - and I'm not that bothered about honey. Ra ra ra - you get the idea.

Anyhow, I reckon we could do breakfast out for years without exhausting the possibilities. How do you eat yours?
I can't get no place to sit down...


















2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I like your blog!

    Anyway, I like my eggs as an Omlet, and that's it. Otherwise ovos don't sit too well with me. But anyway, those Copa breakfasts do indeed look (and sound) quite intriguing and appetizing. I want one for tomorrow morning!

    Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE breakfast options in Rio! My favorite is a toasted minas cheese sandwich with some acai! You don't get that here in Sao Paulo.

    ReplyDelete

Try one of these....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Ese